'Pub team' Glenavon see off Swifts

'Pub team' Glenavon see off Swifts

Matthew Fitzpatrick found the net twice for Glenavon against Dungannon Swifts

Michael Scott


Michael Scott



Glenavon 4-2 Dungannon Swifts

Gary Hamilton's Glenavon secured their first home win of the season against Dungannon Swifts.
Glenavon took the lead on 12 minutes thanks to Mark Stafford's first goal for the club, heading home inside the six yard box from a Michael O'Connor corner.
But with 20 minutes on the clock the Swifts pulled level when Ryan Mayse was allowed too much time to get a shot away, with his effort taking a wicked deflection to send James Taylor the wrong way.
However, the scores didn't stay level for long. Matthew Fitzpatrick restored Glenavon's lead, taking advantage as the ball bobbled around in the penalty box. He stuck a foot out on the turn and beat Alex Moore to make it 2-1.
Five minutes into the second half and Glenavon doubled their lead and Fitzpatrick doubled his tally for the afternoon, turning the ball in from a corner kick.
On the hour mark Glenavon made it four when Peter Campbell rounded off an excellent team move. Danny Wallace beat his man down the left hand side and rolled the ball into the box to Josh Doyle, who teed Campbell up to rifle home.
With eight minutes to go the Swifts pulled a goal back when Darragh McBrien seized upon some hesitation in the Glenavon defence, rounding Taylor to score into an empty net.
After the game Hamilton admitted that his side took motivation from apparent comments by Swifts boss Dean Shield, who allegedly compared Glenavon to a "pub team".
"If it's true then it's disrespectful. I wouldn't call anyone that," Hamilton told Glenavon Media.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Alpha Newspaper Group

Characters left: 1500


Murder accused released on bail

The body of Stephen Barriskill was found at a residential property in the Whitesides Hill area of Portadown just after 12:00 BST on Wednesday, October 27 Picture: Pacemaker Belfast.