Skimmer sends Glenavon to victory over Coleraine

Skimmer sends Glenavon to victory over Coleraine

Matthew Snoddy wheels away in celebration after scoring Glenavon's winning goal against Coleraine. Picture: Maynard Collins

Michael Scott at Mourneview Park


Michael Scott at Mourneview Park


Glenavon 1–0 Coleraine

A rare Matthew Snoddy goal gave Glenavon the victory over Coleraine on Saturday.

It means three wins out of three for the Lurgan Blues, who sit seventh but have closed the gap with the sixth-placed Bannsiders to seven points.

The first opportunity of the game came around as the game rolled round to seven minutes. Peter Campbell took a couple of touches before shooting from 20 yards, forcing Gareth Deane to push the effort over the bar.

Andrew Waterworth perhaps could have done better on 21 minutes after Matthew Fitzpatrick beat a defender before putting a low ball across from the right hand side. Waterworth turned before getting his shot away, but it went over the bar.

A few moments later Snoddy had a go from the edge of the box, only for a Coleraine defender to get a vital deflection to stop a goal.

A low drive by Conor McKendry was pushed away by James Taylor on 37 minutes, before Matthew Shevlin fired narrowly wide a couple of minutes later as Coleraine tried to break the deadlock.

An exquisite pass by Andrew Doyle found Fitzpatrick five minutes into the second half. Deane pulled out a fantastic save to deny the former Coleraine striker from close range. Calum Birney also headed over from a corner on 58 minutes.

On 64 minutes Campbell came close again with a curling shot. He was unlucky to see his shot go narrowly over the bar.

A short time later the Bannsiders were unlucky not to go in front when nobody could turn in a goalmouth scramble.

Glenavon almost went in front on 73 minutes through an unlikely source, James Singleton, when he powered a shot towards goal, however it was straight at Deane.

Another fantastic Taylor save denied Shevlin 15 minutes from time; the goalkeeper pushing a curling shot over from the edge of the box.

The Lurgan Blues finally went in front eight minutes from time. Fitzpatrick found Snoddy on the right hand side; the midfielder cut inside, fired low across Deane and into the bottom corner.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Alpha Newspaper Group

Characters left: 1500